Introducing the Lampson/Vivaldi Instrumental Works
Cross-Reference.Being a great admirer of Vivaldi's instrumental works, I've
always wished I had a comprehensive and complete listing of all the master's
works with the assigned catalog numbers by the various catalogers structured in
such a way as to allow easy searching, sorting and translation between the
catalog numbers. A fairly thorough search turned up no such list, so I decided
to create a database of Vivaldi's works that I could use to create
cross-reference lists including any and all information usually included in the
various works lists. I have recently concluded the first pass through the data
entry and review phases, and present the results for general consideration.
I currently have the following lists available:
I can also make the data available in a
variety of formats as necessary. If anyone would like access to this data,
please feel free to let me know.
Some interesting stats:
- 253 Concerti for Violin, strings & basso continuo.
- 44 Concerti for Strings & basso continuo.
- 42 Sonatas for Violin & basso continuo.
- 39 Concerti for Bassoon, strings & basso continuo.
- 28 Concerti for 2 Violins, strings & basso continuo.
- 26 Concerti for Cello, strings & basso continuo.
- 25 Sonatas for 2 Violins & basso continuo.
- 20 Concerti for Oboe, strings & basso continuo.
- 17 Sinfonias for Strings & basso continuo.
- 15 Concerti for Flute, strings & basso continuo.
- 10 Sonatas for Cello & basso continuo.
- 97 Concertos for various and/or multiple instruments.
- 21 Sonatas (including trios) for various and/or multiple instruments.
- 2 Sinfonias for Violin, strings & basso continuo.
- 639 Instrumental Works (512 Concertos, 108 Sonatas, 19 Sinfonias)
- 42 works in A Major
- 28 works in A minor
- 62 works in B Flat Major
- 17 works in B minor
- 99 works in C Major
- 26 works in C minor
- 77 works in D Major
- 44 works in D minor
- 20 works in E Flat Major
- 15 works in E Major
- 25 works in E minor
- 72 works in F Major
- 4 works in F minor
- 49 works in G Major
- 58 works in G minor
SourcesThe "New Grove Italian Baroque Masters" article on Vivaldi by
Michael Talbot 1980, 1984 W.W. Norton & Company ISBN 0-393-30094-3
Vivaldi by Alan Kendall
Various volumes of the "Informazioni e studi vivaldiani" published by
"Instituto Italiano Antonio Vivaldi" (founded by Sgr. Antonio Fanna). Sgr. Gian
Francesco Malipiero is both Artistic Director of Institute and the editor of the
scores; and G. Ricordi & Co. are the publishers of the scores (Edizioni
I would like to acknowledge the invaluable assistance provided by Winslowe
Lacesso At the University of Alberta, Canada, in researching inconsistencies and
typos in the lists and referring to the published scores as necessary. Her
assistance is greatly appreciated.
1995-09-05 (HTML-version), Werner Icking, WTI.
updated 2004-04-22, by